Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Catnip Forest

Those of you familiar with my bio/profile in my Etsy online shop, Catnip Studio, already know that my husband planted a forest of catnip in our "kitty courtyard." The kitty courtyard is an enclosed area around the cat door exit that keeps our two dogs from annoying our two cats.
The catnip started out as 4 inch seedlings, and now it expands every summer into a kitty crack supply bonanza (I think my cats are pushing it through the neighborhood in exchange for canned cat food).
The princess of the kitty courtyard, Lily, rules with an iron paw from her very own wicker throne and propane-powered turret perch. She does not like paparrazi, so one must be very sneaky to capture her on film in her kingdom.
Lily is a very petite cat; when I adopted her from a shelter, I thought she was a teenager, but she was well into adulthood. She weighs only 7 pounds. She was spayed and aggressively declawed through a previous owner. Her tiny paws have one tiny knuckle on each toe, but when she is standing on your chest they feel like stilettoes. Not that anyone has ever stood on my chest in stilettoes, just so we are clear.
My husband, Mr. Catnip, insists that I spoil my fur baby! Yes, she has a heated and padded bed attached to the windowsill overlooking the kitty courtyard, and hangs out there with me when I am working online, but Mr. Catnip built her bed support. Yes, she has her own private courtyard and recreational drug supply, but Mr. Catnip built the courtyard to prevent our dogs from chasing her all over the yard! Yes, I set the stones and planted irish moss and donated my favorite old chair and new cushions, but, even better, Mr. Catnip came home one day with the catnip seedlings, and planted them in the kitty courtyard without any direction or supervision from Mrs. Catnip (that's me). I rest my case. Guilty as charged, but I have a co-defendant!

3 comments:

Denise M. Juliani said...

Very Funny posting! Your blog is very nice and your jewelry devine!!
Visit me too at http://sparrowsongs.etsy.com and on this blogger....http://sparrowsongs.blogspot.com
Where are you in CA? I am in the Bay Area, Castro Valley. My artists group here are always lookin' for kindred spirits to hang out with..interested? email me back. Blessings, Denise

Mrs.Kwitty said...

LOL--what a fun post! Your Lily does look like quite the little princess! I don't think there is anything wrong with spoiling your kitties. We have 2 cats--Rosie and Daisy (see your Lily would fit in with our little "garden" cats quite nicely! lol) When we got our little Daisy, we were actually thinking about calling her Lily--but she seemed more of a country girl, so we went with Daisy instead.
Smiles, Karen

zUzU said...

=^..^= completely entranced I sat with my cuppa tea (gathered per suggestion on sidebar) with kitty in lap prepared to enter the catnip forest.

I laughed out loud more than once ... what a fun place we have found to visit! I was not disappointed ... not one bit. Henry however was displeased that there was no smell-o-vision ::sigh:: and now wants his own wicker chair outside in the sun. Immediately says he.

HaPpY to meet you (and Lily too) ... popped on by from your Lollishopping post :o) love, zUzU

Blog Widget by LinkWithin