Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Blast Away!

I'm getting ready for a summer debut of my sandblasted artwork in my second Etsy online shop, Catnip Studio, Too, and it seems fitting to blog about my creative process.

I make pencil and paper sketches of my design, and then transfer the sketch to the sandblast stencil (a rubbery vinyl with a sticky back). I attach the stencil to the surface of a rock or tile. Sometimes I use stencil adhesive to ensure a firm bond for sandblasting. I cut out stencil parts with a sharp stencil knife. During sandblasting, the design is "carved" into the cutouts, and the blast is blocked everywhere else.
Sandblasting is dirty work, and sheer misery in the heat and humidity of summer in Northern California, but I just love the gradual appearance of my original line drawings in the tile or rock surface as the blasting progresses.
The look of the sandblasted lines is especially beautiful as daylight moves across the walls of a room and the sandblast depressions become shadowed and more distinct. Simple and striking at the same time.
I'm developing "paisley" seashells on paper right now for my next sandblasted set of tiles; here's a peek of abalone paisley, and I'll take this design through to the finished tile in future blog entries:

4 comments:

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Awesome!! Beautiful work!

Opheeelia said...

I HAVE to have one of these! omg, they're amazing!

LindaGJ said...

I found this post about your tiles, so you do make tiles, etc. but I couldn't find where you sell them. Just curious!
Linda :)

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Hi, Linda,

You can see more of my tiles at http://catnipstudiotoo.etsy.com . Thanks for asking!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin