Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Catnip Equinox

I do a once-monthly feature for the Design Style Guide Blog in which I select handmade home decor by fellow Etsy artisans around a theme of my choosing. My DSG blog post for September is excerpted below, as it led me to examine the catnip forest more closely today. Do check out the complete post, but only after you've finished today's bit of catnip intrigue, trepidation, realization, and relief :-)

"Summer is sending out the last obstinate hours
of heat.....and the catnip forest has started to
yellow from the ground up. Soon enough.....
Autumn is around the bend,
and the grateful soil will rest."
Autumn isn't around the bend, it's knocking at the door! The autumn equinox, around September 22nd or 23rd in the Northern Hemisphere, ushers in the fall season, which brings me to the catnip forest - it's looking pretty peaked, lately. Almost completely gone to seed, and propped up with bungee cord by Mr. Catnip. Soon, he'll cut it back almost to the ground (sniff).
A couple of months ago, the tiny lavender catnip blooms were covered with big, beautiful bumblebees for weeks on end. I didn't get a photo (drat), but I'll be on the lookout for them next year. All that is left (or so I thought, more on that shortly) are some straggling honey bees that I can see from the window overlooking the kitty courtyard. Armed with my trusty digital camera and a flyswatter, I went in for a closer look.
The bees ignored me completely. Obviously not of the infamous killer bee strain, I dropped my flyswatter, and safely hand-swished the air near them to direct bee traffic (more on that shortly) so that I could snap a few pics.
I'm standing almost within the forest, and I notice another catnip citizen, wings just as tattered as the honey bees.
And then, something not quite right, in a stems-and-leaves-not-quite-right sort of way.
Isn't she a beautiful Praying Mantis? She's about ready to make her egg case, as her abdomen is plumply distended, and the timing, autumn equinox, is about right. I could see her spiracle flaps (openings to insect breathing tubes) gently flutter as she waited. She was very agreeable about posing for the camera,
and to a more advantageous catnip GPS adjustment.
I tried to get the money shot, truly I did, swishing bees and butterflies in her direction, doing my best to accelerate the inevitable conclusion. Perhaps it's best that my camera battery wasn't up to the task. You didn't really want to see dinner in the catnip, did you?

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Hey, thanks for your nice comment today. I will try to keep up the cuteness of my posts so you will continue to enjoy them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin