Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

Plaster of Paris, Plastic, and a Mother's Love


Above are some of the ornaments that decorated our Christmas tree back in the day (okay, it was waayyy back in the day, the sixties, to be exact). I remembered them, recently, and asked my mom if they were still around. After digging around in her Storage of Lost and Forgotten Things, we found them, and more.





The watercolor-painted plaster of paris ornaments above seemed familiar, but I had to ask my mom why this was so. As she began to refresh my memory, it came back! My mom, sister, and I had made them together; there were more, but they are long gone.








The bright, primary colored plastic ornaments were also on our childhood Christmas trees, but I don't remember them at all.


Last, but not least, very vintage glass ornaments, some probably Shiny Brites, also from the Storage of Lost and Forgotten Things. My mom hasn't used these ornaments in years, though she does still use the silvery white aluminum fake (ya think?) tree from our childhood, with serene blue glass ornaments. So, she let me take the old stuff home. She saves everything, knowing that, in time, all will be loved again. I'll admit that I have a hankering for that old, white aluminum tree, too. But that's a someday that is, hopefully, still far, far away.

5 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Wow! those ornaments are absolutely Gorgeous!!! How lucky you are to have them!! I love those mercury glass ornaments, and remember them so well. Just lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing! Sharon

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

I love these old ornaments and am glad that you now have possession of some of your Christmas' of past. My Mom has the old aluminum tree with the color wheel too and she also used the blue ornaments. And my Mom sounds just like your Mom in that she holds on to everything!

Mary Wadsworth said...

Thanks for sharing these treasures.
I love the plaster of Paris ones, so cute!

The Catnap Cottage said...

Oh, yes, I love the vintage ornaments. I have some similar ones on our tree that came from our parents too. We have our memory tree again this year, a hodge podge of hand-me-downs, hand-made by the kids when they were little and me, gifted by friends and collected from vacations - it would probably look like chaos to others, but it is fabulous to us!! Thanks for sharing these fabulous ornaments!!

Pieceful Bits said...

I want them! I want them! I want them! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!

Julie
piecefulbits

Blog Widget by LinkWithin