Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

"Is THIS the Mountain...

...you want to die on?" Just an expression I learned from a wise U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer as he was counseling a callow, young Sailor (me) about how to decide when to take a stand on an issue, and when to just let it go. I discovered, over the years, that there are very few mountains to "die on", that most dramas and upsets were just hills of beans that tumbled away to insignificance in the bigger scheme of things. Once I examined my own motivations and priorities, many seemingly huge issues (mountains) vanished, and I was free to focus on whatever it was that truly mattered to me at the time.

So next time you have an argument, an unmovable position on a topic, a hissy-fit, or a knock-down-drag-out fight (figuratively, I hope) - ask yourself, "Is THIS the mountain I want to die on?"

10 comments:

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

Well said. Keeping things in perspective is hard sometimes but so important. Thanks!
~Michele

Jennifer said...

Great post!

TinyBear said...

I´m totally agreee with you on this one. So well said.
Tina x

bstudio said...

Well put Kathy!
Brenda

Mia Sophia said...

excellent!

Tiedupmemories said...

So true...sometimes we do get so worked up that we make mountains and it it just a tiny mole hill!

Haute Country Vintage Co. said...

Fabulous post!! Thanks for sharing this it's so often easy to lose perspective, making mountains out of molehills :0)

Polka Dot Moon said...

I can't tell you how much I needed to read your post!!! I certainly will remember that quote - especially after my weekend.
Thank you for sharing!
Denise

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Heee Heee!! You are just the best Kathy!! I love it! Sharon

Mrs.Kwitty said...

You are very wise, yoda! My Dad has always said basically the same thing...he usually put it about taking some steps backwards to see if the mountain is really as big as you first thought it was. Yup.
Smiles, Karen

Things do seem to get blown out of proportion at times, don't they?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin