Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Help! Vintage Mystery Beads

I am going to harvest these beads from this bib or collarette necklace, which looks homemade, and belonged to my grandmother. I would love to know more about them! What I can tell you:


  • they are opaque, shiny white, and cold to touch (glass beads, maybe);


  • they are slightly baroque (bumpy, irregular surface and shapes), which is why I haven't cleaned them as the texture is more visible;


  • they feel just barely oily or greasy to touch, but don't leave residue;


  • they are heavy, and make a clacking sound like glass beads;


  • they date to mid-twentieth century or older;


  • they don't have any discernable odor.
I think they are probably just soiled glass beads (go figure). Any knowledge or thoughts on these beads would be much appreciated!

7 comments:

Mia Sophia said...

I have no idea what they are but from the pictures I think you guess is right. Those are terrific! I love vintage glass beads! Great find!

starrynightimpressions said...

Sorry Kathy,
I don't have any info on the beads, but just wanted to say I have been loving your photos lately! So beautiful.
blessings,
starrydeborah

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Hi! just a little visit to ask you to stop by and receive an award for your beautiful blog! See you at
http://etsycottgaestyle.blogspot.com
Marcela

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

I would say they are vintage glass beads but I'm afraid it is only a guess. I bought some playing cards at an antique mall this weekend and have no idea what game they are. I plan to take them to my MIL's retirement home and ask around. Maybe someone there will know. (hope so!)

The beads look fun. - Teresa

Lori said...

those beads are great!!! i am not up on bead knowledge though, sorry...i hope someone has the answer for you:)

flowergardengirl said...

That's a very modern necklace for its time I suppose. I don't know much about it but don't remember my mom wearing anything so classy. I know you'll do something equally as fascinating and beautiful with the beads.

She'sSewPretty said...

Cathy, Given their age, they might be milk glass beads. I'm no bead expert though. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin