Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bleeding Fingers, Repurposed Victrola Cabinet, Works in Progress, and a Fresh Studio!

Well, I've finished spring cleaning my studio, at last! I have more room to work, now that my new studio storage shed is finished and most of my larger supplies are in it.



The outside of my studio is winter dreary, and I am so looking forward to spiffing it up with potted annuals!



My jewelry station is all in one place, now, and my cut china tiles are all shelved together, resorted, and it's easier for me to find what I'm looking for.



Here's my newest finished piece of jewelry, a brass rose filigree bracelet with celadon green carved serpentine and cherry red faceted stone beads.


The Rose

This brass filigree necklace featuring a gorgeous vintage glass opal and shabby vintage pinky gold Swarovski crystal beads and a brass honey bee, is in progress.



I'm feeling the spring mosaic bug - that compelling-can't-be-ignored-fever to crack china, glue china, and grout china - but I am working on a custom embroidery fabric panel, too, so I only have a few pieces ready for grouting. When they are finished, I'll post new pictures of them.







The vintage planter below is almost ready with only the short sides left to tile.



All of my paper crafting supplies are now in our dining room, stored in a large sideboard and a repurposed vintage victrola cabinet (sans victrola). Follow the link to see how it originally looked, and I'm not yet finished with it - I want to distress the paint a bit, tweak the hardware, and add some dimensional touches.





The embroidered panel is quite large, almost a foot and a half square, and I've lost count of the number of times I've stabbed myself in the fingers on this piece! All of the blue must be covered by green, except for a one inch outer border (which won't show when the customer frames it), and I'm on the home stretch, filling in around the edges!



Mr. Catnip finished fencing and gating our new little country vegetable garden of cinder block raised beds, and my mom (she has two greenhouses and her own vegetable gardens on Humbug Mountain) and I planted 3 of the 5 beds today, and we'll be using row covers to protect them until our weather warms up. The picture shows the beds before planting, and covered in heavy plastic.



Here I'm sharing my favorite little shabby, vintage birdhouse with you. It is in as found condition, plus several more years of exposure to the elements in my yard. The squirrels had packed it tight with acorns, which Mr. Catnip dutifully shook/pried out.



Finally, the only plant fully blooming in my yard. This forsythia, shaped into a small tree, is always the first to bloom; everything else lags far behind.



Happy Easter to all!

9 comments:

Mary Wadsworth said...

Wow you have been busy,
the cabinet looks beautiful in blue!!!

Happy Easter:)

Mary

flowergardengirl said...

I love the birdhouses of course, the jewelry is unique and fun, and all the projects turned out perfect. You must feel so good to have your work areas so organized. It makes you more productive and happy. I don't like that frenzied scattered feeling--right?

TinyBear said...

Your studio looks so great with all those jars. Love the embroidery - so beautiful.
You sure have been busy.
Tina x

Pieceful Bits said...

Wow, luv your creative space!!!
What a neat idea with the victrola! My dad just gave my sister one of these, but it still has the player in it. She actually can still play it!
Happy Easter
(~~)
Julie

starrynightimpressions said...

Soooo fun to see your personal artists space, very organized and lovely :)
and that garden is soooo great, I'm tempted to start mine too, but it's still possible it might snow up here in the mountains so I'll wait a little longer.
blessings,
starrydeborah

Lori said...

i love your studio...i am coveting it a little bit too, if you must know...you sure have oodles of supplies, it looks so organized too...Happy Easter to You:)

Gossamer Creations said...

It must be wonderful to have your own studio. Your looks so nice and neat. I hope you have a lovely Easter.
~Sue~

She'sSewPretty said...

Oh my goodness Cathy!! You lucky girl! I love your studio and I love that victrola makeover!

PussDaddy said...

You have a great studio. I loved my tags I got from you, by the way. Most likely I will be back for more later, as I saw some more I really liked.

PussDaddy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin