Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Farm Fresh, and Pretty, Too!


My parents have a big hen house for all kinds of chickens, even a couple of araucanas, and one (figurehead, only) rooster. My dad converted the interior walls of an old travel trailer into their roosting places, and surrounded it with a sturdy fenced and roofed chicken yard to deter freeloaders like bears, cougars, and other rural inconveniences. My mom goes through the trailer door to gather eggs, refresh feed and water, and shovel, errmmm, plant food. The chickens have a chicken-sized door at the back which accesses their yard. Mr. Catnip and I save all of our garden produce scraps to assist in feeding the princesses - I mean chickens.

Farm fresh eggs taste soooo much better than chemically treated commercially produced eggs! My mom recently brought us a 24 pack, and they were so pretty I had to share them with you.

2 comments:

starrynightimpressions said...

Hi Kathy!
I love the egg photo :)
I have always wanted to raise a couple of chickens but am kind of scared. We have preditors too in our area and I'm not sure if I want to deal with it all, but those eggs are making me rethink the matter, lol.
blessings,
starrydeborah

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Love the photo!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin