Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Many Are Called, But Few Are Chosen


Two Christmas seasons ago, a Martha Stewart T.V. Show rep did a telephone interview with me for a potential spot on the show about my decoupage Christmas ornaments. I wasn't selected for the spot (an awesome paper artist, also from Etsy, was selected), but I was excited for being noticed. Many are called, but few are chosen.


This past fall, a rep from Country Living magazine contacted me about my decoupage ornaments, requesting that I send them a set for consideration. After they were received, a second set was requested and sent. Ultimately, my ornaments were returned, and the published feature on Christmas ornaments showcased terrific non-traditional tree decorations, and it was clear to me why my more traditional ornaments didn't make the cut. I was still excited, but not so much about my shipping costs to get my ornaments from west coast to east coast by their deadline with no resulting publication. Many are called, but few are chosen.


I had dressed in my gown and heels, but no one would take me to the party - until now, or more accurately, until I recently received my copy of the November 2009 issue of Canadian House and Home. Their monthly Trend Watch was about brocade items, and my brocade paper Christmas ornament gift tags were right there (as the rep told me they would be)! My copy of the magazine is now artfully staged and hermetically sealed in a UV-light-protected glass pedestal case in the middle of my living room. Thank you, Canadian House and Home, for calling, and for taking me to the party choosing me, at last! 


I was kidding about the glass case.









13 comments:

Marydon Ford said...

Beautiful creations! I, too, had issues getting my creations printed after expensive shipping charges to accomodate magazines deadlines for consideration.

Congrats! & many successes ... I hope you will join me.
TTFN ~Marydon

Sea Witch said...

OMG, How wonderful! Your work is so lovely that it was only a matter of time before the right pub picked you up and featured your work. Now that you are publishing you will find more doors open. I can't wait to see what you do next. Sea Witch

myeuropeantouch said...

Oh Kathy, long time no Hear...(smile)
Love, love your little story and a heartfelt congratulations are in order.
Monika

TinyBear said...

Congrats Kathy
How great is that and so well deserved.
You look so good in that mag.
Hugs, Tina

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

You gals are so sweet to comment on my good fortune, thank you!

Pieceful Bits said...

Congratulations! Hope you are invited to more parties:)
(~~)
Julie

Tiedupmemories said...

Oh my gosh! How exciting! I'm so happy for you and you look so good in that magazine! It definately needs to be on a pedestal!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome!
Tracy

icandy... said...

Sweet Kathy!
Guess what I came home to today?? The SWEETEST package, ever! Thank you soooo much for my early Valentine, I will definitely put all of the crafting goodies to good use! :) I really loved all of your handmade tags~ they are very pretty!
What a beautiful surprise!
Thank you, again so much!
OXOX
Christina

Lana of Honeysuckle Lane said...

Congratulations Kathy! Your ornamnents are beautiful!

Thirty-Six Ten said...

Congratulations! you so deserve it and more!

peggy gatto said...

Oh how wonderful!!!!
Congratulations!!!

Denise said...

congrats! how fun for you.

Beth said...

Congratulations! no one would read that page if your ornaments weren't there to catch the eye. Beautiful!

Beth

Blog Widget by LinkWithin